There are many ways you can become more efficient in work and life. Some may take time to implement, others cost a little to use. If you want to become more productive and get more done quickly, you need to be efficient.
Here are 10 easy to follow efficiency tips to try. Like everything else you need to find what works for you. Why work AND life? Well many of us who work at home tend to interweave everything that needs to be done.
- Stream line your work and home space. Take a few minutes at the beginning of each day to organise and declutter. Clean and organise areas such as your office, desk, the kitchen counter and your bedroom. Put things where they are most logically used. Throw out damaged items or old papers.
- Do your most dreaded tasks early in the day. We all have at least one task on our to-do list that we keep putting off. The thought of doing it seems awful. Do that task first. Get it off your plate first and all other tasks will seem less daunting. And a bonus, you’ll be less stressed once the task is finished.
- Turn off email and social media notifications. We live in a world of being constantly connected. This can break our focus, especially if you are checking email and social media every few minutes. Instead turn off notifications and have a set time, say a couple of times a day, to check and reply to notifications.
- Prioritise and delegate tasks. Think about everything that you do. Prioritise what is essential, trivial and urgent. Set aside low priority tasks or delegate them out to someone else to do. This gives you permission to focus time on the things that are important and high-priority.
- Take breaks. Set aside a few minutes every hour, or after finishing a task to take a short break. This can be a walk around the block, running to the local coffee shop, reading a magazine or visiting with friends for a few minutes. Also work in short blocks of time on projects to keep your mind sharp and focused.
- Write down daily goals with a to-do list. Keep track of everything you need to do each day by writing down your goals for the day each morning. You can refer to it when you find yourself procrastinating or need a reminder of what you should be working on.
- Give up multitasking. Doing more than one thing at a time seems productive. In reality it hurts your productivity because you waste time on refocusing.
- Be well stocked. Keep your workplace well-stocked of the supplies you need. Keep your pantry stocked for quick meals.
- Get plenty of rest. Being tired often interferes with how well you focus and do your job. It can be distraction or cause safety problems if severe. Get at least 7 to 8 hours of restful sleep each night.
- Stay motivated with a positive attitude. Allow yourself to be happy. Do small things to enjoy yourself. Think of why you are doing a certain task and how you’ll feel when it’s completed.
Being efficient is a reward itself. When you are more efficient in your daily tasks you have more time to enjoy yourself and relax.